Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Drill, Drill, Drill...



"I fear not the man who has practiced 10000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10000 times." - Bruce Lee

These words read very true to any practitioner of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Sure we would all love to watch a youtube video, drill it for 10 minutes, and then kill with it in class and at tournaments. The truth of the reality is this does not happen. Unless you have been blessed by God himself to innately be able to pull off a certain move effortlessly you are gonna need to drill. I have been "passing guard" for over 2.5 years now and I still have not drilled the passes enough to pass guard at will. Last night we played pass the guard drill for 20 minutes and I walked away recognizing this fact. Granted my passing has been pretty one dimensional up till now, I love being smacked in the face with the reality that you just need to Drill, Drill, Drill. Being injured allowed me to look at my "game" and recognize that I try way too hard to use the plethora of moves I have been taught and seen on countless videos and dvd's. It is time to pull it together and start focusing on the few moves that make me successful. Practicing these few moves thousands of times will be way more beneficial then practicing thousands of moves hundreds of times. Thanks to this Bruce Lee Character for putting this idea into words. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment