Friday, September 24, 2010

My "local" MMA Experience. Ben "The Baker" Neumann by Choke!



I had the privilege of attending an MMA event called "Combat on Capital Hill 3" last Friday in St. Paul, Minnesota. This is the first time I have attended a "local" MMA event (Note: I have attended countless boxing events and UFC 87) and I wanted to put some of my random thoughts on the experience together. The main thing I want to say is congratulations to my friend and training partner Ben "The Baker" Neumann who won by Rear Naked Choke only 30 seconds into the first round. Ben is an amazing grappling competitor, evidently an awesome MMA competitor, but most importantly a world class person. This is Ben's second victory in the cage and for that I salute him!

This is him with a serious face. ;)

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/f/DF5E3F2912D683F6/Benjamin-Neumann/

Random Thoughts on My "local" MMA Experience.

1. Lots of Tapout, Affliction, and "fight" shirts. Glad Chris Browning and I decided to dress as opposite as possible (Collared Shirts and Sweater Vests).

2. Lots of thousand mile stares and squared shoulders. No dude, I dont need to put on a front to prove I am tough. Actually I came here to watch fights, not be in one.

3. Amateur bouts are sloppy and absent of much technique. If you can wrestle, you can win an amateur mma bout.

4. Not enough seating. They must have over sold the "general admission" three times over. Its ok though, we looked tougher standing. ;)

5. I know a lot of people at these things. Who knew?! Refs, Commissioners, Fighters, Coaches, Spectators, etc.

6. More women and fan boys than I expected. I even saw kids running around. MMA must really be "mainstream" as they say.

7. I am as good at arm chair MMA'ing at live events as I am at home with a gut full of pizza. Shut up Jason! Until you can learn to enjoy getting punched in the face you are not an MMA fighter.

8. Submissions are orgasmic. Thank you Ben and some other dude who got an Anaconda Choke for fulfilling my needs. ;)

9. Chris Browning is an amazing friend. Thanks for getting me out of the house and into the event.

10. Ben Neumann by Choke! Keep it up kid!!

I could go on but I will cut it off here. All in all it was a good time. I miss the old days when MMA felt smaller and more special, but it was cool to have that many people in the St. Paul Armory who might know what an omoplata or kimura are. Tough guy syndrome will always exist so I need to look past that. Next time I will go with the same intent...to cheer for my friends and the possibility of seeing Jiu Jitsu in MMA!

No comments:

Post a Comment