Friday, September 3, 2010
Friday Night Side Control Escapes.
Had a good night working side control escapes with my coach Mike and a few brothers in gis. Since side control escaping is a very important part of Jiu Jitsu I thought I would leave some of my notes on here for future reference. Options 1 and 2 seem like the highest percentage moves but options 3-5 end in submission attempts. ALL good weapons.
1. Control your opponents hip by gripping the pants near the hip, use your other arm to reach up over your opponents back and cup their armpit. While controlling your opponent by holding him tight to you, shrimp away and bring your knee in to regain guard. Guard will be achieved once you stretch your opponent out (while controlling their posture) and a square back up.
2. If your opponent switches their control from the "shoulder of justice" to an "over and under" control you will immediately grab the sleeve of the arm they are controlling your hip with and shrimp away. They will most likely drop their weight on you. At that point you will shrimp back into them and sweep them over the top of you (shrimp, shrimp, shrimp until they go over). Now you have escaped into side control.
3. If the pressure is great while they are using the shoulder of justice, swim the top arm under their chin and make them uncomfortable (make space). Be aware of the head and arm choke at this point. While bridging/upa-ing into them to create space, swim the hip controlling arm under them and shrimp underneath them. Continue to control the head and (swing) get all the away underneath so your head and shoulders are behind their shoulder. Grab a gable grip and finish the head and arm choke.
4. Pop the opponents collar open behind their head with the top arm (thumb in), bridge and shrimp while swimming the hip controlling arm underneath them and grab control of the back of their collar, swim the top hand back down and underneath their chin and grab their collar for the baseball choke.
5. While on the bottom, control the opposite lapel low on their gi (hip controlling arm), swim top arm underneath the chin and obtain a deep collar grip, THEN BAIT the opponent to go into mount. As they mount they will sink the collar choke even deeper. Lights out or tap out.